This year’s color is associated with serenity, wealth, and nature; it’s vibrant, energizing and a perennial favorite across all decorative styles. Emerald, declared the 2013 Pantone Color of the Year, manages to be a crowd-pleaser that works with the most masculine and feminine tastes, while maintaining an ambiance of elegance and originality. A large amount of emerald in a room makes a bold, bright statement while a few accents add intrigue. Take a look at the dynamism and beauty in this small selection of emerald pieces.
1.A lovely glass lamp plays off the green glass bottle look for a statement piece that works singly or paired, flanking a couch.
2. This sleek metal table makes a statement in an all-white kitchen.
3. This gorgeous chinoiserie linen is a great choice for upholstering a pillow or headboard. Or use it in place of wallpaper in a closet or powder room. The best thing about using fabric for wallpaper is that it’s easily removable and reusable.
4. A sphere stool is a fun addition for a kid’s room, in place of a standard desk chair. Plus, it promotes good posture!
5. A modern couch looks perfect when mixed with traditional, neutral pieces.
6. This flatweave rug adds chic softness underfoot.
7. Ornate drinking glasses dress up bar carts.
8. A little decorative chest such as this one adds mystique to the rest of the room’s décor.
9. Defy expectations by painting a big wooden piece such as this armoire in a vibrant, solid color.
10. This striped throw adds a preppy touch when draped across the foot of a bed.
11. A row of these wall hooks look beautiful in a hallway or mudroom.
12. This malachite pillow should be added anywhere there’s space; the pattern is amazing!
13. Settle into this square, velvet chair, which adds the perfect straight-lined touch in a feminine room full of pinks and corals.
Emerald is a rich, attention-grabbing color that’s often best as an accent. What a major difference a small amount of emerald can make! It may be at the peak of its popularity this year, but it will likely never go out of style.
Adria Saracino and Tali Wee collaborated on the above style guide. Adria is a fashion blogger and obsessive home décor pinner. Tali handles the Houston community outreach for Zillow and enjoys spending time on projects around the house.